In older publications of many languages, there are frequently printed text in the margins that detail the topic of a section of the text (see below on the left and right):

Excerpt from Magnum Oecumenicum Constantiense Concilium: Excerpt from Magnum oecumenicum Constantiense Concilium

What is the name for these? I considered marginalia, but they are not handwritten.


1 Answer 1


Although many marginal notes are made by hand, the term marginalia is also often used for printed ones. There is even a book about "printed marginalia". A definition of marginalia given here states

The term "marginalia" generally refers to handwritten or printed text situated at the borders of the page.

Depending on the textual content, words like gloss, annotation or side note can also apply (although the latter also has a more metaphorical meaning).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .