I want to know how actually (and on the basis of what) visiting researcher (for PhD students) or visiting Ass. Professor (for lecturers) opportunities are offered worldwide (especially for USA/Canada) ?

Thanks !

1 Answer 1


For the European countries I've seen the answer would be similar:

Visiting researcher is not really a type of (funded) position, but a status. PhD students might do a research visit as part of their doctoral studies while still being paid by their home institution, sometimes supported by a travel grant to cover travel and housing costs. There are also post-doc grants providing 1- or 2-year funding that are implemented by having the involved institution host the postdoc as a visiting researcher. Finally, a professor on a sabbatical might visit another institution for a couple of months and in the course of that take on the visiting researcher status.

Fixed-term lecturer or teacher positions are created by the department as a regular type of position (the term "visiting assistant professor" is usually not used). They usually have to be publicly announced and advertised, although the effort for advertisement is usually smaller than for a tenure-track or tenured position.

  • 1
    OK, But for the Fixed-term lecturer what are the requirements in general in Canada ?
    – Sam
    Dec 16, 2020 at 11:39
  • @Sam If it's anything like in Europe, you will need a PhD or be close to finishing one, and have expertise aligned with the acute teaching needs of the department. Dec 16, 2020 at 11:54
  • Does this mean a PhD degree and some teaching experience ? or that the PHD topic should be right in the teaching topic ? also 'close to finishing one' means it's OK to start before the thesis defense ?
    – Sam
    Dec 16, 2020 at 11:56
  • @Sam They might need someone to teach the course on databases, or hexapoda. Then the call would mention that and you should point out your relevant experiences in the application. Dec 16, 2020 at 11:57
  • @Sam Yes, starting before the defense would probably be OK, depending on the country (I know one country in Europe where it might be a problem, but that seems to be the minority). When you apply for a specific call, the call will mention this, or you can also contact their contact person. Dec 16, 2020 at 11:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .