I am working as an International research assistant (in a University Library) in Germany. A startup (based in London) asked me to work as a research consultant (kind of a freelancer, 5-10 hours per week). I am working full time 40 hours and also doing a part-time PhD 4 hours per week (not being paid). My employer gave official permission for doing the part-time PhD.

I wanted to get involved as a research consultant because we exchange data and technology. As per the EU regulations, there is a limit of a maximum of 48 hours per week.

I have two questions-

  1. Can I work two jobs (full-time and freelancer) in Germany and the UK?
  2. How does the employer check the exact number of the working hours across Germany and London?

Please share your opinion.

  • 2
    This doesnt seem to be an academia question. – Arno Oct 31 '20 at 17:31
  • 1
    @Amo I am working in academia – Alex Kujur Oct 31 '20 at 17:33
  • 2
    as long as you stay below 48 hours, you are legally allowed to do so. As far as I know (from what I have seen in EU universities) you need the approval of your department if you want to do something besides your university job, especially if it is somewhat related to your main job – Mark Oct 31 '20 at 19:15
  • However, 40 (RA) + 4 (PhD) + 5-10 (consultant) > 48 – Mark Oct 31 '20 at 19:19
  • @Mark Thanks a lot. Yes, I am confused, sometimes it goes more than 48 hours, sometimes it less. Can my employer check the exact number of working hour per week? – Alex Kujur Oct 31 '20 at 20:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.