I graduated from a third-tier university majoring in Aviation engineering with a 3.2 GPA. I want to go to graduate school in order to pursue my dream to become a researcher/research engineer. I landed a research assistant position at another campus right after graduating. My plans were to learn and publish papers (which I did) as I waited for the right opportunity.

After gathering information regarding scholarships, a fully-funded scholarship requires a GPA above 3.5. I talked about my concern to my current professor and he said I'm qualified to enter graduate school with my current experience. He advises me to apply for labs that have my field of interest.

Is it possible to get into graduate school by applying to labs? Do I get fully-funded by the lab? Is it really a thing?

I am mainly interested in graduate programs in Korea or Japan.

  • 1
    "a fully-funded scholarship requires a GPA above 3.5." This is not generally true. – Anonymous Physicist Sep 22 at 8:43
  • 1
    "by applying to labs?" Depends on the country. – Anonymous Physicist Sep 22 at 8:44
  • @AnonymousPhysicist So it's different everywhere? How do I know if I could apply to those labs? – Mr.Hz Sep 22 at 8:50
  • 1
    Check their website, or tell us the country. Probably someone has asked already on this site. – Anonymous Physicist Sep 22 at 8:51
  • I aim to get into Korea or Japan – Mr.Hz Sep 22 at 8:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.