Suppose, someone studied in a 120ECTS MSc program in CS in a country 'X' in the EU. He obtained 60 ECTS there, but he also has some failed courses. He then abandons the program.

Now, he moves to a country 'Y' in the EU and gets admission to program CS in the country 'Y' after 5 years.

Can he get his 60 ECTS credits counted by the school offering CS?

  • Does "graduate" mean "PhD"? There is no such thing in Europe, mostly (in the sense of having to take courses, get ECTS points, etc.). Or do you mean Master studies.
    – user151413
    Sep 18, 2020 at 18:14
  • 1
    Is this you? It's much easier to read in first person, IMO Sep 18, 2020 at 18:29
  • 5 years is a long time. I believe in quite a few programs you get kicked out after less years if you don't make enough progress. I doubt such old credits would be counted.
    – user151413
    Sep 18, 2020 at 18:31

1 Answer 1


They will decide what credits / courses they will be prepared to accept.

All you can do is show what you have covered so far, even including syllabi may help make a case but, remember they get to decide what is accepted.

  • 2
    If the question is "does X work", "You have to check if X works" is not an answer. It is the question.
    – user151413
    Sep 18, 2020 at 18:44
  • 3
    @user151413 Seems perfectly reasonable as an answer to me, this is basically the "it's up to your program" answer. It's a question that has to be asked of the specific program, no general answer can be given here.
    – Bryan Krause
    Sep 18, 2020 at 19:07
  • 1
    @BryanKrause So you are saying the question should be closed.
    – user151413
    Sep 18, 2020 at 19:12
  • 2
    If the only possible answer is "It depends on individual circumstances", then the question should be closed. Sep 18, 2020 at 19:30
  • 2
    @SolarMike Oh. I did. And I stick to my conviction.
    – user151413
    Sep 18, 2020 at 20:09

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .