Last year my paper got accepted in a Mathematics journal. This year the online first version of the article came out. I put the online version on research gate and a lot of people read the article. Then a fellow reader pointed out a big mistake in last part of the paper. I mailed and informed the journal regarding the error.I told them the error does not seem to be fixable at the moment and requested them if they could update the paper by removing the erroneous part. After a week I noticed that the journal has taken down the online first version from their website. But till now I haven’t received a reply to my mail. It has been a month now.

Can anyone tell what I should do now? I mailed the journal secretary yesterday, but no response.

I should also mention that I had submitted the copyright transfer form , after proof reading i.e Just before the online first version came out. Also the journal is a decent one with .50 MCQ on mathscinet.

Well I expect a response from them because then I would know what their plan is with my paper, so that without loosing time I can publish it somewhere else if required.

  • What do you expect? You reported an error (and probably asked to take it down?), they took it down. What do you expect them to do? Wouldn't it be on you to follow up?
    – user151413
    Commented Sep 8, 2020 at 12:49
  • It is my work in the first place and I expect that they at least inform me about their plan with my paper. Or tell me if I can try publishing my paper somewhere else.
    – MathRS
    Commented Sep 8, 2020 at 12:54
  • But what did you write them?
    – user151413
    Commented Sep 8, 2020 at 12:55
  • In the first mail where I informed about the error, I also mentioned that the error does not seem to be fixable at present. Since I did not get any reply since then, I mailed the secretary yesterday asking if I can get a update on the status of the paper.
    – MathRS
    Commented Sep 8, 2020 at 13:01
  • Well, if there is a non-fixable error, it is not unlikely they withdrew it? Or they are waiting for you to update them on whether you were able to fix it or not? -- I'm just not sure why you expect they should get back to you?
    – user151413
    Commented Sep 8, 2020 at 13:15

1 Answer 1


This is a question (or series of questions) for the editor. You can ask what they intend to do beyond taking down the online version. Ask if you can provide a correction (assuming that is possible). Ask if there is anything else you can do.

And an email "yesterday" won't get a response for a while.

But look for some mutually acceptable outcome.

I don't think the copyright transfer has any bearing on this, actually, other than that they have the responsibility now.

  • Actually I messaged the secretary again almost a month after the paper was taken down and not getting any reply after informing the error.
    – MathRS
    Commented Sep 8, 2020 at 12:37
  • 1
    I think you've done the right thing, but, but don't be too optimistic about replies. You expected something more after the first communication, but it is possible that they thought taking it down was enough, unless you specifically asked for more of a response. Hopefully you will get something from the secretary soon-ish.
    – Buffy
    Commented Sep 8, 2020 at 12:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .