The question is pretty much the title. If you are an academic, is it possible to get anyone to pay you to do research in mathematical finance?

You can interpret the question broadly, to include mathematics or computational science that is used in finance, as long as this research has some real connection to finance as practiced today.

  • Funding research in topic X is not the same as having someone pay you to do X, especially for academics who are paid by their institutions.
    – Buffy
    Sep 14, 2022 at 18:58

2 Answers 2


Ignoring the somewhat tendentious statements about mathematicians and funding mathematics, the National Science Foundation in the US is one example of an agency funding research in mathematical finance. In fact, all I did was type "nsf mathematical finance" into google and I got three awards listed in the top 10. I'm sure there are many more.

  • 1
    thanks, I should have thought of that. I had to Google "tendentious". Jan 8, 2014 at 2:47

Man Group plc does just that, particularly through the Oxford-Man Institute of Quantitative Finance. Further information can be accessed through the Institute's website, which also provides contact details.

  • 3
    You have enough rep to post more than one link. Please do so and also provide more info. Thanks.
    – Nobody
    Jan 11, 2014 at 11:35

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .