Can someone do another Masters in Canada if you already have a Masters and PhD from the UK?

  • 5
    What is your goal? Commented Aug 25, 2020 at 21:18
  • How different would the subject of the new Masters be from the old one and the PhD? Commented Aug 25, 2020 at 21:24
  • Many thank you Azor. Change of profession-the PhD really didn't provide me with the opportunity I wanted into my teaching career- So, i am thinking of doing Masters in Education that may allow me into teaching along the process of the programme and after the programme
    – Nki
    Commented Aug 25, 2020 at 21:27
  • partricia- The My First Masters is in environment- But i really want to get into teaching thats why i want to do the masters- BUT, the main reason why i am asking is from immigration perspectives - if Canadian immigration would allow an international person do that
    – Nki
    Commented Aug 25, 2020 at 21:31
  • 2
    I don't know if it is the same in Canada, but in the US, an EDU masters is more directed at pre-college teaching. There are many specialties within it, however.
    – Buffy
    Commented Aug 25, 2020 at 23:14

2 Answers 2


I know a lecturer in my university who did his Masters and PhD in Computer Science and also has a Masters in soil science. So yes, you could do any number of Masters you want. I doubt immigration really cares about your background. If you have admission and support letter from a Canadian university, you should be able to get a visa. And if you are paying fees for your Masters it is unlikely you will have any problems.


You can study for a second masters, but funding may have different conditions.

I know several people with 2 masters and they did them for their own reasons.

  • 1
    2 downvoters who obviously don’t have a masters...
    – Solar Mike
    Commented Jan 10, 2021 at 6:22

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .