Can I apply for a new PhD position of a better university(Stanford, Berkeley) in coming fall semester if I am currently international full funded PhD student of another university (both in US)? After acceptance I will leave the previous university.

  • Yes. Not much to say. Aug 25, 2020 at 7:08
  • of course you can, but is it advisible? that depends
    – Our
    Aug 25, 2020 at 7:12
  • If you leave one supervisor to go to another, will the new supervisor expect you to dump them as well? what happens to trust?
    – Solar Mike
    Sep 24, 2020 at 8:14
  • 1
    @SolarMike Students should not be "loyal" to supervisors. They should act in their own interests. The new supervisor should be offering a good deal to keep the student. Students rarely find that supervisors are loyal to students. Jan 22, 2021 at 9:52

1 Answer 1


Yes: You can drop-out, give-up funding, and start-over with a new supervisor.

Albeit, that's probably ill-advised given the current climate.

  • Is it a law to give-up funding? Aug 25, 2020 at 9:06
  • 1
    Not directly, but surely contractually: Why would your current university fund you to study at another? Something else to consider is whether your visa (if applicable) is tied to your current university: If you leave, does that invalidate your visa?
    – user2768
    Aug 25, 2020 at 9:27
  • This is partly wrong. PhD students who transfer in the US normally do not start over from the beginning. If the funding is external it will not need to be given up. Jan 22, 2021 at 9:50
  • 1
    do not start over from the beginning: True, credits for taught courses may be transferable. I merely meant start over with another supervisor. I'll edit. If the funding is external it will not need to be given up: That really depends on the funding structure. Generally, I'd assume funding is tied to a university.
    – user2768
    Jan 22, 2021 at 11:22
  • 1
    @user151413 My understanding is that it's typically not a problem to enter the US on an unexpired F-1 visa with the old university's name on it. In any case, it's something to verify with the International Office while going through the SEVIS transfer process. If admitted on a J-1 visa there are more restrictions.
    – Anyon
    Jan 22, 2021 at 14:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .