I have been offered a teaching-oriented position in power electronics in a research-intensive university. It is not a tenure-track position. It seems fine considering my career and age at this moment but in the long run, I would like to get involved in research and eventually get tenure-track positions. Therefore, I am wondering whether it is possible to do research from this kind of position. I will be grateful to you if you give some guidance with regards to this situation.


It's conceivable that such a position would leave you enough time and energy to pursue research at some level of intensity, but it's impossible to say in general; the answer will vary by country, research field, university, and specific position.

  • Find someone who holds (or has held) this type of position at this university and ask them. Advice from this source is likely to be more disinterested and well-informed than you will get from someone associated with the group offering the position.
  • If this is impossible, ask someone associated with the group offering the position.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.