I have the chance to submit a revised manuscript to a journal, and they have specifically asked to highlight the changes using highlighted text, as opposed to tracked changes. I am using Microsoft word.

I have always used tracked changes, so I am not sure of the normal procedure when using highlighted text to mark changes, specifically when deleting text. If there is a sentence to be deleted, how do you indicate this using highlighted text, as there is no text remaining. Should I just delete and then reference the line at which this happened in the response to editors and reviewers? Or should I highlight the 'space' where the line used to be?

Many thanks


Use strikethrough in Word (or LaTeX).

  • 1
    Ah ok, so the text doesn't actually get removed from the manuscript, that's great thanks. Is it common practice to highlight the strikethrough text, or only highlight the new text? – AP30 Apr 30 '20 at 11:35
  • @AP30 Strictly speaking, a strikethrough is a highlight. That said, it is unclear what the journal require, so highlighting [the backrgound], as per other changes, might be useful. – user2768 Apr 30 '20 at 14:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.