1

This is a follow up to this question I asked yesterday. Briefly, this is the situation:

I have two (US) PhD offers, I deferred admission offer from Uni A without guaranteed funding, but Uni B guaranteed that they'll defer my financial offer, but I should already accept the offer if I want that. Following the exchange in the comments of this question, I'm not accepting B's offer, but I already deferred A and I plan to go there if they offer me funding next year too (they probably will, but with this COVID-19 crisis, nothing is predictable).

Now I want to tell Uni B that I decided to go with Uni A, and deferred to next year. Should I tell them that they didn't guarantee my financial package for next year, and I may be open to an offer from Uni B as well next year? If I should, how should I pass that message to them? I know this may sound really bad to tell B that if A doesn't give me funding next year, I'll take your offer, but that's the truth, and I AM worried about not getting funding from A next year. So, should I somehow tell them that?

8
  • 2
    Given that "nothing is predictable" why do you think they will agree to this other than just "We'll look at you again, then"?
    – Buffy
    Commented Apr 15, 2020 at 16:50
  • So do you want B to also defer your in-accepted offer, or be open to you reapplying next year? While you might well want to keep all options open, that isn’t how the world generally works.
    – Jon Custer
    Commented Apr 15, 2020 at 16:52
  • @Buffy I thought perhaps because of what Pete L. Clark says in his answer here: academia.stackexchange.com/questions/44885/… "By telling the student that [accepting them for next year] now, we make their eventual enrollment in our program the path of least resistance."
    – der
    Commented Apr 15, 2020 at 17:37
  • 1
    I would strongly suspect that you would need to reapply to B since you have not accepted-and-deferred their offer.
    – Jon Custer
    Commented Apr 15, 2020 at 17:44
  • 1
    @JonCuster I'd be open to that, but I already told A that I'll go there if they again offer me a financial package next year (and that's the truth). Should I tell B that, and that I'd want to be considered for their program for next year? Isn't the fact that they once guaranteed the deferral with the full package for me, but I didn't accept it, a red flag on my next year application? Clearly I'm basically telling them "I hope I go somewhere else next year, but if I couldn't, I'll come there.". Is that acceptable?
    – der
    Commented Apr 15, 2020 at 17:50

0

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .