I asked my two of my current Med school faculty for a LOR almost a week ago and I have got no response yet from either. It is making me pretty nervous and I am not sure what I should do now. I wouldn't regularly make this request over email, but our school is currently shut down because of COVID-19. For reference: I asked via email a week ago and the application is due May 1, so about 5 weeks ahead, both are doctors at our affiliated hospital, but in specialties not typically associated w handling the COVID crisis. My application will be much weaker without at least one of these two letters and there is no way the school will re-open before the due date. Any suggestions on how to proceed, or should I start preparing emails to other faculty as well? Thanks

1 Answer 1


With due respect: these people don’t work for you, and you have 5 weeks before deadline. If they promised letters, one must presume they will write the letters at a time convenient to them.

If you have not heard with 10 days to go before deadline then ask again.

  • Thank you for your response. I should have probably specified more clearly in the original post that the faculty have not said yes or no to writing the letter yet. I understand that they have other duties, now more than ever, than to write me a recommendation. I'm just trying to prepare for whatever contingencies that may happen if they can't write one.
    – sjd368
    Mar 29, 2020 at 14:44
  • 1
    If they have not committed yet then wait a week (at most 2 weeks) and assume that no answer means no LOR. Mar 29, 2020 at 14:46

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .