I am a Ph.D. student in the USA. I have a contract with the university to work 20 hours a week. However, I have an idea and want to propose it to a company. Then, I sign a contract with them to do that programming project for them. Is this allowed or not?

  • Are you a US citizen or on a visa? – Buffy Mar 23 '20 at 16:50
  • 1
    There are two types of "allowed" to consider, your university's rules, if any, and if you are not a citizen or permanent resident any visa-related restrictions. – Patricia Shanahan Mar 23 '20 at 16:54
  • This is a question for your university of if you are an international student, for international services of your university. – Alone Programmer Mar 23 '20 at 17:02
  • Is the contract exclusive? That is, are you allowed to simultaneously work for someone else? – user2768 Mar 23 '20 at 17:05
  • 2
    See uscis.gov/working-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors/… - no you can't work off campus unless approved. – Jon Custer Mar 23 '20 at 18:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.