I'm preparing to publish my first paper. I have a question on my name to use on the paper. I'm commonly known as Steve (which I've been using for absolutely everything) but my passport name is my Chinese name (which almost no one knows about). My enrolment is under my passport name. Do I have to use my passport name as the author of my paper?


1 Answer 1


No, you don't have to use your passport name, use the name you want to publish under. If you search this site, you'll find guidance on selecting a suitable name.

  • 1
    But select it with care, you want to keep if for a carrer spanning decades.
    – vonbrand
    Commented Mar 4, 2020 at 12:39
  • @vonbrand Indeed: I've offered guidance before, I just can't remember where
    – user2768
    Commented Mar 4, 2020 at 12:40

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .