Can someone do research and eventually obtain a PhD in a gastronomy-related field (not approached from the side of chemistry, history or culture but rather from the culinary side) from an accredited university?

  • 4
    Google first answer: food-culture.org/food-studies-programs gave me 6 maybe relevant links (with Ph.D. in them). – Zenon Nov 26 '13 at 5:22
  • At first I thought this was concerning a PhD in gastroenterology, and was curious why you wouldn't pursue the MD route. Cary on. – Jonathan Landrum Nov 26 '13 at 15:41
  • 1
    Thank you, @Zenon. The schools listed offer programs focused more on food chemistry, biochemistry or dietetics. I'm looking for more like a PhD (or rather, a DLA) for chefs program, which focuses on the more artistic view of cooking like flavours and textures (but not strictly from the chemists' point of view). – András Hummer Nov 26 '13 at 16:56

Aside from the programs/universities mentioned in the link which Zenon gave in a comment, it appears that you may need to tweak a molecular gastronomy program to fit your interests. The Italian University of Gastronomic Sciences looks to have several programs that might fit your desired focus.

  • Thank you, molecular gastronomy is indeed what I was thinking of (I just didn't know that was its proper name). – András Hummer Nov 27 '13 at 20:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.