So I'm a bit confused because the structure of higher education is different in America than it is here. In the States the typical undergraduate degree (for example in physics) is around 4 years. From what I heard, most students who end up getting a doctorate go straight to "grad school" after their undergrad degree. However in Europe, according to the Bologna Process , the 3 year Bachelors is usually followed by a 1-2 year Masters program before enrolling in a Phd program.

The question is, how are these 2 systems of education compatible? Let's say I want to do my physics Phd in the U.S., would I need to have both my Bachelors and Masters degrees before applying to a "Grad School", or would a bachelors suffice?


Usually a BSc would suffice. This is because PhDs in the US typically contain 2-3 years of lectures, coursework and exams before you do any research. This is the equivalent of doing a separate Master's (and indeed, many students pick up a Master's degree on the way to the PhD, almost by default). In the European system, PhD students start research from day one, so most will have a Master's degree already.

You could consider emailing the graduate admissions people at the universities you're interested in, to find out more about entry requirements specific to your own case.

  • A European BSc is normally much more focused on a particular field than one in the US, where it is a generalist degree. The main requirements for a doctorate in US are to pass comprehensive exams and write an acceptable dissertation. The advanced coursework helps prepare for both, but especially the exams.
    – Buffy
    Feb 4 '20 at 11:35
  • A PhD in the US usually takes 5 years (planned duration) whereas in Germany (and most other EU countries?) it takes only 3 years (planned duration), precisely because in the US you first do the equivalent of a masters degree.
    – quarague
    Feb 4 '20 at 14:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.