I have a pretty well connection with him academically(taught several courses and was one of the teachers of my final year major) and personally. But I am confused if the designation is going to be a problem.

I have requested and managed two from my thesis supervisor and another assistant professor. I am planning to apply for graduate studies in the USA.

  • 1
    What country is your current university in? "Lecturer" means different things in different countries. If I understand correctly, in the UK it means something like "assistant prof" or "associate prof" does in the USA. – puppetsock Dec 13 '19 at 14:39
  • I am from Bangladesh. A lecturer here is also a permanent faculty member like an assistant professor or an associate professor. The difference is seniority I'd say. First you are a lecturer, then you become an assistant professor, after that associate and finally professor. – DhrBChy Dec 13 '19 at 14:50

While a professor would be better, a lecturer should be fine, especially if they hold a doctorate. You want letters from people who know you well enough to make a prediction about your future success, and so a lecturer with whom you have interacted may be a good choice.

The letters need to speak both about your past accomplishments and about your potential for success. Choose the best people for that.

I would worry a bit if the person doesn't have a doctorate, however, unless they are also currently in a doctoral program. They need some experience in the situation you are applying for. But a lecturer - current doctoral student probably will work nearly as well. Note that I have a few misgivings about the last statement. Think hard about it if this is the actual case.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.