For a course I teach, I would like to assign projects to students, so that each student chooses a different project among a list of alternatives.
It seems to me that one of the simplest ways to assign them in a fair way is the following: sort the students in a random order, and then ask them in this order to choose a project among the ones that are still available.
I would like to know if there is a web service that handles this process automatically. More specifically, it should do something like the following:
- Takes as input a list of 'objects' to choose, and a list of e-mail addresses.
- Optionally, randomizes the order of these addresses (but I can do that off-line)
- Sends a mail to the first address of the list, asking them to choose one of the available objects.
- Once the owner of address #1 has chosen, takes the chosen object off the list, and sends a mail to address #2 in the list, asking them to choose one among the remaining objects.
- Repeat until there are no more addresses in the list.
- Displays the results of the process for everyone to see.
Is there a website where I can set this process up without too much trouble? Doodle does something similar, but without the constraint that users must choose in a specific order; it uses a first-come-first-served approach.
(Before someone suggests it, I think that this question is more suitable for this site than for [softwarerecs.se], and I would prefer not to ask it there.)