I am currently PhD student, and giving lectures to undergrad students (4 semesters). Is it legit to write about this activity in the CV separately. If yes, then how (i.e. lecturer)?


If lecturer is an actual title in your location, as it is in many, and you don't actually hold the title, then it would be a mistake to suggest otherwise. If you have full responsibility for a course then you could provide a list of "courses taught". But if you are just a guest lecturer in a course taught by another, you could provide a list of "presentations" with a bit of detail.

Don't say things that others might consider misleading.

You could also seek advice from your current department/school as to how to properly present yourself. Likewise, a professor that you worked for in such courses can provide some guidance.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for your answer. What do you mean by saying "actual title in your location"? – sane Sep 10 '19 at 11:17
  • 2
    In the US, for example, a person can be hired as a Lecturer. It is a low level academic title. Professor is a high level title. If you hold the title then you can use it, otherwise it might be misleading, depending on where you are and where you are applying. If your actual title is TA, then just use that, even though your actual responsibilities are of a higher order. That was my situation (long ago). I was a TA, but had full responsibility for a Calculus course over a couple of terms. But no title other than TA. – Buffy Sep 10 '19 at 11:21

In the United States, if you taught an entire course and did the grading, then you should use a phrase like

"Teaching Experience as Instructor of Record"

followed by a list of the courses. This would be under teaching experience. In some other countries this might not be understood.

If you are teaching as a part time job, I would suggest not listing that as employment, but this is a matter of personal preference.

You may need to adjust the way you write this depending on your audience.

| improve this answer | |

When you write your experience section, use subheadings to split it into Research, Teaching, and Administration. This lecturing goes into the Teaching section.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for your answer. But which title you suggest to put in "teaching section"? – sane Sep 10 '19 at 11:47
  • It makes very little difference what title you use. "Lecturer" is as good as any. Just make sure the description you provide is accurate. – Scott Seidman Sep 10 '19 at 11:49
  • What are the alternatives to "Lecturer"? – sane Sep 10 '19 at 11:52
  • @sane The title used by the employing institute, for instance – user2768 Sep 10 '19 at 11:55
  • 1
    It depends on the style of the CV you choose. You can even list the name of the course, with the description "Provided selected lectures", and then you don't need a title. – Scott Seidman Sep 10 '19 at 12:00

I think it is legitimate to add this to your cv , but under the title: Additional academic work.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.