How should one address people with titles Dr. and Professor from Canada.


2 Answers 2


In an email write "Dear Prof. X". If you're addressing them in their role as a professor at the university that is the preferred form. If you're addressing them outside that role it seems to be equally common to use "Dear Dr. X".

Note, that unlike in some countries (like Germany) the form "Dear Prof. Dr. X" is not used in Canada.

  • I just realized that your "from Canada" has different possible interpretations. Do you mean they are now part of your local community after having moved from Canada or are you addressing someone who is from Canada and still in Canada? If it's the former, the other answer is correct. It's your local customs you should follow. If it's the latter I explain how to follow Canadian customs. Commented Aug 30, 2019 at 12:26

Publicly, you should address them as you would their peers in your current country of residence. Privately, you can inquire as to their personal preference.

  • "You would do it like you would to anyone else" is not a very helpful response. Commented Aug 29, 2019 at 23:05
  • 2
    @AzorAhai There is distinct different between what I wrote and your interpretation. It appears that you have overlooked the word "peers". Commented Aug 29, 2019 at 23:21
  • Yes, you're right, I accidentally left off "anyone else with the same title." Your answer is still not helpful. Commented Aug 30, 2019 at 13:32
  • @AzorAhai I see no reason to distinguish between people on the basis of their country of origin. I look forward to learning why I am mistaken. Commented Aug 30, 2019 at 16:35

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .