I am doing a PhD in social sciences, currently finishing the coursework part, at one of the middle-ranked universities in the US. Because of some peculiarities in the program and the school (specific to this particular school I am at), I am considering to try to switch to another university. I have read a few similar topics on the forum, but I decided to ask my own question because circumstances are different in my case, which may potentially matter a lot. First of all, I am not simply unhappy about the program I am doing but rather the department and particular aspects of it that are not common among other US schools. Secondly, I am thinking about switching to a school that previously offered me a place, which I rejected in favor of the offer from my current school. Does this make my chances any better or any potential transfer still remains nearly impossible?
You won’t necessarily switch to any particular school unless you find an advisor / supervisor prepared to take on your topic in its current state.
While you might want that school, if no one wants to supervise your topic then it won’t happen.
First find a new supervisor, then you know which school you will be joining.