0

This question already has an answer here:

If an institution tells you, look here is an admission offer, and you should let’s know if you accept it or reject it by the day after tomorrow. Meanwhile, you are still waiting for a word from other places that you applied to.

So, what is the most diplomatic and tactful way to communicate “Hey, I can not accept/reject the current offer right now. That's because i am waiting to hear back from other schools, and I need time to decide upon that”? At the same time, I do not want to sound like careless about the offer.

marked as duplicate by Anonymous Physicist, user3209815, Anyon, Jon Custer, Bob Brown Aug 23 at 10:36

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

1

It would be polite to let them know that you "won't be ready to make a decision before some date". Asking them to hold the offer open for a bit and requesting a reply.

If they really insist, then you have to make a decision about acceptance, but they might not, unless they have an overabundance of candidates. But, going past their due date implies risk that the acceptance will be withdrawn. So, be prepared to make a decision on short notice.

Letting the date pass without notifying them is probably your worst option, however.

  • Could you give any insight how to find the date one gives? – user111955 Aug 20 at 5:26
  • Not a lot, I guess. Use what information you have about future decisions by others. But shorter, rather than longer, is more likely to be accepted. – Buffy Aug 20 at 9:30

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.