My university has asked me (actually, a friend) to process in a graduation ceremony, and expects me to wear full academic dress. However, my home country and home university does not have an academic dress.

Is there a standard hood colour in the UK which means "master's degree; overseas university (unspecified)"? And indeed the same for a bachelor's / doctorate degree?

1 Answer 1


Ask the university. There will be administrative offices and a secretariat of some kind, and they will be delighted to be able to help. It is a lot more interesting than most of the stuff they find themselves having to do.

The general rule is to wear the gown and hood corresponding to this university's equivalent degree if there is one, so if you are a masters student then presumably you will have a bachelor's degree and so the B.A. dress would be appropriate. But ask them, and they will happily tell you.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .