I am filling an application form for a PhD position and came upon this field:

enter image description here

It seems like a stupid question, but I am not familiar with this type of categorization. For a Master's degree, which one should I choose?

  • What happens if you select "Other"? – Patricia Shanahan Jun 30 '19 at 16:16
  • @PatriciaShanahan nothing. It's just another option. – Mahm00d Jun 30 '19 at 16:21
  • Where is the university you're applying to? – JeffE Jun 30 '19 at 16:58
  • @JeffE in Austria – Mahm00d Jun 30 '19 at 17:09

I am assuming that this application form is a generic "job application"-form, rather than one designed specifically for positions as PhD students. To my knowledge, PhD positions in Austria are categorized as jobs anyway.

Then, translating back to German, I suppose the cases are:

  • Abitur/Matura

  • Universitaetsabschluss (= university degree)

  • Ausbildung

Thus, chose "study".

  • I would guess that "study" is just an awkward translation of "Studium". – sgf Jul 2 '19 at 10:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.