I want to send an email to two people. One of them is a reader in India and the other is a postdoctoral research assistant in Germany. I do not know how to address each of them at the start of the email - “Dear Professor", "Dear Dr.” or what?

  • 4
  • @Allure This is about Germany, not UK. Jun 14, 2019 at 13:10
  • @MassimoOrtolano But India does use Commonwealth academic job titles.
    – origimbo
    Jun 14, 2019 at 13:37
  • 1
    @origimbo "the other is a postdoctoral research assistant in Germany" Jun 14, 2019 at 14:15
  • I can't answer authoritatively as I don't have direct experience of India or Germany, hence the comment rather than answer, but I'd suggest sticking with "Dr".. India seems to use UK titles, in which a Reader is not a Professor - and Germany is a stickler for titles and if this person was a Professor you would know about it ;-)
    – Flyto
    Jun 21, 2019 at 16:31

1 Answer 1


The formal way to address a postdoc in Germany would be Dr. [Surname]. My experience is that at least among Phd students/Postdocs people will quickly switch to an informal first-name address. But for first contact you should use the formal Dr. [Surname].

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .