Situation: I had a firm interest in field A and applied to relevant schools. I was admitted to Univ. X and Y's program starting from this fall semester. X is more renowned program than Y in my department. There was a professor (potential advisor) in X whose research works and style closely aligned with my own interests.
I enrolled X but rejected soon because I heard some bad instances from some people who worked with the potential advisor which were so critical that some students left his lab. After the rejection, I got another email explaining how those complaints can be misleading and some good sides of the potential advisor. I asked X to withdraw my rejection but soon canceled that query because I was scared of losing both schools when they find that I was doing this. But regretted so much that I asked X for reconsidering my admission again. Finally, professors in X officially declined my query, stating they would welcome my re-application in the next year.
I tried to settle down in Y. However, I couldn't find my interest in the works of the potential advisor in Y. I wanted a balance between quantitative and qualitative works, however, his works seemed to be inclined to the latter. In the field similar to A in Y, professors were either not taking students or out of the US for several years. I could barely find interest in research works done by other fields in Y. Because I want to do what I can passionately do, I decided to re-apply to X.
Will my application to X be disadvantageous?
Should I write the reason I rejected and why I want to make a shift in my SOP?
- If I participate in a project in Y, should I tell the advisor in Y about my decision? Should I have a reference from him?
Thank you for reading this long explanation.