This question already has an answer here:

I am currently pursuing doctoral research in Chemical engineering department at IIT Kharagpur, India. I am about to complete my Ph.D. within 2 years. I am thinking of doing another Ph.D. possibly from outside India. But I would love to do a Ph.D. in the same area.

marked as duplicate by henning, corey979, FuzzyLeapfrog, Enthusiastic Engineer, scaaahu Jun 5 at 7:59

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


In general, yes, this is possible. More concretely, it depends on the rules of the institution your apply to (and on the people reading your application). What you cannot do (at least in most reputable institutions) is to use the same research for two degrees.

However, do expect the question on why you want to do a second phd and prepare a good (and honest) answer.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.