Many of you probably have already lived these career turning point: your PhD program is going to end, and you have to choose an university research group to apply for a postdoc position.
Which factors do you consider as more important in this choice?
Take research group X at university Y. Which factors you consider to decide if it's worth to write to them for a postdoc opportunity?
- Research group project's affinity with your PhD research work?
- Research group's excellence, and international ranking of its team leader researchers?
- Research group members' human affinity with your personality (if perceptible)?
- Research group project's scientific novelty and genius?
- University excellence, and its international ranking?
- Distance from your hometown? Proximity to your hometown?
- Going abroad?
- The university city/country way of life?
- Other elements?
Please tell which of these (and other) elements you consider the most important (or by giving a percentage to each, if you want).
Many thanks! :-)