If someone writes a letter to the editor and I write a response, how should I list the response this in my CV?

It is peer reviewed but is only a 300 words, so it doesn't seem right to put this under 'journal articles' (though the title starts with "Reply To: ... ", which makes it clear).

  • 1
    What discipline? May 8, 2019 at 2:02
  • 1
    How does the publisher suggest citing your work?
    – user2768
    May 8, 2019 at 9:07
  • @AnonymousPhysicist science
    – Abe
    May 8, 2019 at 15:57
  • @user2768 I've never seen guidance from a publisher beyond the citation that they provide and in this case, it says the citation type is 'article' but on the website and in the instructions for authors the classification is 'matters arising'.
    – Abe
    May 8, 2019 at 16:01
  • 1
    @user2768 "Matters arising" is a special name the journal gives to "post-publication commentary"
    – Abe
    May 10, 2019 at 0:24

2 Answers 2


I put these on my CV as peer-reviewed publications and label them as 'commentary'. I also label other works 'review', 'empirical', etc. as appropriate. The title can also be used to signal the type of work, like "[Title]: Commentary on Zeller et al., 2018".


Rename your "Journal Articles" section to "Publications". Put under "Publications".

Optionally you can have an "Other Work" section where you list less-important stuff. Throw it under there.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .