This question already has an answer here:

How would I refer to myself in a research paper? I know the use of 'I' is out of the question, so would it be 'this researcher'?

marked as duplicate by henning, corey979, Wrzlprmft May 1 at 8:21

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


This is very field-dependent. In my field (engineering), it is typical for authors to use "we" even if there is only one author. (FWIW, I don't really like that convention, but it's what most authors do.) In other fields, such as in the humanities, it's usual for a single-authored paper to use "I". (It's not out of the question.) I've also seen "the author" or "the researcher" or phrases like that.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.