I am an undergraduate student and I wrote my thesis in a group (5 members). It is a academic procedure that in the final year we have to perform thesis which have 3.00 credits and we have a supervisor for this.

we have completed our thesis paper and everything is OK according to our supervisor, we have completed every correction in our thesis report. After every correction is done the rule is that we have to submit our thesis report in a book format(black book). After that our external and supervisor gives us mark based on our performance as it is a academical course.But thing is that now he wants to publish our paper in a journal and conference, but we don't want to publish.

Since we disagreed, he don't want to publish our result and don't want to give us marks. Does he have the right to do so? Can he forced us to publish that paper with him? Now, he wants a bond sign in a application, in the application it is included that "We are bound to our supervisor that as long as our paper won't published in two journals and one conference we can't withdraw our academical certificate and mark sheet and we all have to bear all the cost in the procedure of publication and we are bound to meet with in any circumstances it doesn't matter we are in a job or anything and we can't deny to meet with him" the main thing is that from the beginning it was not included and we were not aware of this kind of issues. This agreement was not included at the beginning. What should we do?

  • 5
    Could you edit your question to explain why you don't want to publish? Usually one really wants to publish one's work. – Bob Brown Apr 18 at 16:37
  • 8
    "now he wanted a bond sign in a application that we can't withdraw our certificate and mark sheet as long as our thesis paper is not published." I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. – Azor Ahai Apr 18 at 16:42
  • 6
    Yeah, I (still) have no idea what you're talking about. (1) Why don't you want to publish, (2) what does your professor want you to sign -- the last paragraph makes no sense, and (3) what happens if you don't sign? – cag51 Apr 18 at 17:03
  • 3
    See the Dean or Head or other advisors and Don't sign anything until this is sorted. – Solar Mike Apr 18 at 17:18
  • 3
    @shuvo You added a lot of unnecessary details, but it's still unclear what "a bond sign in a application" is. If you are translating something, maybe you can give the original name so someone can help you out with the English? Also, you've quoted something, but that really doesn't sound like something someone would write in an official form. Is that an actual quote from this bond? – Azor Ahai Apr 18 at 17:33

General answer: you should talk with your undergraduate adviser. These are the people in the department of your university who specialize in resolving academic issues and conflicts, they will help you.

To me it seems that you have fulfilled the requirement (writing thesis) but now your supervisor is adding extra requirement of publishing. Maybe that was part of the deal from start, maybe it is something new. You should also mention that now the supervisor basically rescinded their approval of thesis and block your academic progress.

  • no that was not part of the deal from the start. – shuvo Apr 18 at 17:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.