I want to write a result in a scientific paper that contains the remainder of X (a real number) divided by R (another real number), i.e. X - [X/R]R, where [X/R] is the floor function. Is there an appropriate notation for this? For example, X%R?

closed as off-topic by Buffy, Geoffrey Brent, Massimo Ortolano, user3209815, Jon Custer Apr 16 at 22:59

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    X mod R is often used. – Buffy Apr 15 at 23:38
  • 2
    X mod R. But this is probably the wrong site, the math.stackexchange.com or tex.stackexchange.com might be more suitable. – Oleg Lobachev Apr 15 at 23:39
  • 1
    @Buffy Isn't X mod R only for integers? – KRL Apr 15 at 23:47
  • 2
    Not really. But if you are doing computing, rather than mathematics, note that there are various inconsistent definitions depending on the language. Especially for negative values. – Buffy Apr 15 at 23:50
  • 1
    I use X % R much of the time (with the caveat that it's "\%" in LaTeX, since "%" alone starts a comment). Do not use "mod"; it already means the residue class, which is not the same thing. (2 % 5 + 3 % 5 is not the same as 5 % 5; but 2 mod 5 + 3 mod 5 is the same as 5 mod 5.) – darij grinberg Apr 16 at 4:48

You can write it out in words as you did in the question.

  • Or define any symbol you want to use in a foot or endnote. – Buffy Apr 16 at 12:24
  • @Buffy in my field symbols are defined in the text. – Anonymous Physicist Apr 16 at 22:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.