I am studying for a Master's in one of the top IIT in India and looking forward to apply for a PhD candidature. My institute follows relative grading. Faculty are allowed to assign grade themselves.
- Normally the student with the highest score in the class will be given S (10 points).
- The students with the next 3-4 high scores will be given A (9 points).
- This is followed by grade B (8 points) for next 5-6 student scores.
- The next 5-6 students will be given C (7 points).
- That is followed by the D (6 points) grade.
- All the remaining students will be given E grade (5 points).
For elective courses, the situation is even worse. For some elective courses I studied, there were less than 15 students and so it was only possible for 3-4 students in total to get an S or A grade. While applying for PhD, how should I have to deal with this? My Head of department agreed to provide me my position in her course.