As generally expected the doctoral review committee has to evaluate the PhD student by asking questions, by debating etc.,
Faculty in doctoral review committee can give soft suggestions and are capable to provide grade for student for that particular semester and can even fail the student.
All the above are not insulting since all are dependent on performance of student.
But how to respond to the intimidating comments by faculty in the committee that are harsh and targeting personally, which are not deserved for a doctoral student?
Example for harsh suggestions includes follows:
1) Don't roam outside too much, sit and do work silently;
2) Better to eat less and work more;
3) It is not worth for you to do this degree;
4) Can't you understand the content that bachelor degree students can understand?
5) The work done by you in this semester can be done by masters student in a week.