In computer science many conferences provide a fee discount for PhD students. Currently I am also a PhD student in Germany. In Germany there is a program in which you are registered as a PhD student at a university, but not matriculated.

Can I still register for conferences via the student discount?

closed as off-topic by Solar Mike, scaaahu, user3209815, Scientist, Flyto Jan 17 at 13:48

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "The answer to this question strongly depends on individual factors such as a certain person’s preferences, a given institution’s regulations, the exact contents of your work or your personal values. Thus only someone familiar can answer this question and it cannot be generalised to apply to others. (See this discussion for more info.)" – Solar Mike, scaaahu, user3209815, Scientist, Flyto
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    In my experience, if you claim to be a student, the organizers will just believe you. – JeffE Jan 17 at 11:04

You're a PhD student, so, yes, you can register for the student discount.*

*Ultimately, conferences make their own rules, so this may not apply to every conference. In such cases, just ask the organisers.

  • Exceptions might exist. But, even when an exception is made, you can always ask. – user2768 Jan 17 at 8:36

Whether you are seen as a "real" student when you are a PhD student may differ between conferences. I have exactly the situation: I am a PhD student but not matriculated.

If there is any uncertainty whether you are considered being a student, just ask the conference organizers. I have written an email to them exactly for this reason and the answer came back positive, saving me some money thereby. Additionally, you have the advantage that you have a definitive answer you can rely on without running into (potential legal) issues.


In my personal experience, even if you are not enrolled, you can get a letter from the university that you are indeed a PhD student and in my case this has always been accepted as a valid proof of being a student.

  • I have such a letter that certifies me as a doctoral student. However, this letter was only given to me in German. Was that your certificate, too? – MerklT Jan 17 at 15:05
  • I had one in English, I do not think a german one will be accepted on a non-german conference. Maybe write your own with the official university letter head and get your professor to sign it? – Claude Jan 18 at 10:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.