Is someone who is currently pursuing his Integrated Master's course/ Dual Degree course (or any other 5-year degree course) considered to be a graduate student or an undergraduate student?

  • That depends on the institution if you are in the US. Elsewhere it may depend on law or custom. – Buffy Dec 6 '18 at 15:29
  • 4
    Considered by whom, and for what purpose? – ff524 Dec 6 '18 at 15:34
  • 1
    The ones that I have knowledge of award the Bachelor's degree after the fourth year. Until that point the student is an undergraduate, after a grad student. Context: hiring summer students and trying to figure out which position(s) they are eligible for. No bachelor degree awarded, not a grad student. – Jon Custer Dec 6 '18 at 15:41
  • Graduate students already have an undergraduate degree. – Mad Jack Dec 6 '18 at 15:52
  • Coterm: usually undergrad, 5th year masters: grad. – xuq01 Dec 6 '18 at 19:52

In terms of the literal meaning of the word, you're an undergraduate until you graduate. Then you are called a post-graduate student (British English) or graduate student (American English) if you continue studying for a higher degree, or simply a graduate if you are no longer a student.

However, your university may use these words differently or use different words altogether, and their meaning and usage also varies across countries and cultures.


This is going to depend on institution. For example two places I know which offered Honours degree (3-year Bachelor's, +1 year with research project for so-called Honours), one of them considered Honours students undergraduates, while the other considered them postgraduates. Similarly there are undergraduates who take graduate courses, and graduates who take undergraduate courses.

I imagine however if a student is enrolled in a program that results in a Masters degree, he or she would be a graduate student, no questions asked.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.