Many journals recommend that authors suggest potential reviewers. They also often require the institutional affiliation to be listed. However, many researchers who have published in relevant, high-level journals do not necessarily have this information public and some are not affiliated with an institution at all.

How should I proceed in these situations?

  • 2
    If they don't have active websites, do you really want them as reviewers? Hint: Reviewers should be easily reachable :) – darij grinberg Nov 28 '18 at 6:10
  • 5
    Show me a university that does not publicly list its faculty. I claim no such institution exists. – David Ketcheson Nov 28 '18 at 8:48
  • 1
    @DavidKetcheson they certainly do exist, although they tend to be quite obscure. For example, An Hui Normal University - I grant I didn't search thoroughly, but when I poked around the website just now I didn't find any list of faculty. – Allure Nov 28 '18 at 10:30
  • @scaaahu but can you find a list of faculty? – Allure Nov 28 '18 at 12:32
  • 1
    @Allure In Chinese, yes, e.g. faculty of Physics and Electronic Information physics.ahnu.edu.cn/5536/view . In English, I am afraid not. – scaaahu Nov 28 '18 at 12:39

How do you know of these potential reviewers in the first place?

If you know them personally, then you probably also know which institution they're in. If you don't know them personally but have read their papers which are intimately related to yours, then you can look at the first page of their papers to see their affiliation. If you read of them from books, you can still look at the title pages which should list their affiliation.

If they don't have affiliations, then simply write "unaffiliated".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.