I worked at University A and did a research stay during one month at University B; I was not paid by them, but I got funding (from a third agency) thanks to them for accepting my visit during a salary gap, before going to University C.

About 80% of the paper I want to submit I wrote in my university, but I finished it at University B during said stay, even though my original aim of being at University B was another research topic.

I would like to put U A and U B both as affiliations, since the environment in U B boosted my research (and I don't want to be less thankful than I ought). Is it justified to write both affiliations? Or should I write only University A as affiliation and thank for hospitality to University B and my host there?

3 Answers 3


The usual practice in this case is not to list University B as an affiliation (since you never had a paid position there) but to mention in the acknowledgments that the work was completed during your visit there.

I wouldn't consider it appropriate to list University B as an affiliation on a paper if, for instance, you were never paid a salary or listed as staff on their institutional website. I would consider it fine to list the visiting position in a CV, though.

  • Thanks. I'll put then just my (ex)-affiliation.
    – c.p.
    Commented Nov 22, 2018 at 9:27

I don't think that the effect will be different no matter what you put, but the latter (...hospitality...) version seems marginally more honest. Being a visitor at a prestigious place caries some cachet of course.

I don't think that a one month salary gap is going to be any issue, if it is even noticed. But you will mention the funding agency, of course.


I think you should write both because you spent some time on it and it doesn't matter what's going wrong. Just do it, man.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .