I am writing a scientific paper and I introduced the abbreviaton: Underfloor heating system (UFH).

Can I now use UFH to talk about the underfloor heating system or do I have to write: UFH system?

I am asking because I have many pictures that are difficult to change were I use UFH (and it should stand for underfloor heating system).

closed as off-topic by Dmitry Savostyanov, Buffy, Solar Mike, scaaahu, Scientist Nov 17 '18 at 15:57

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Try asking on the English stack... – Solar Mike Nov 17 '18 at 13:48
  • This may depend more on the opinion of the editors for the journal. Many journals in many fields would be fine with you using an abbreviation after you have defined it. – JoshuaZ Nov 17 '18 at 15:09
  • Does the sentence really need the word "system"? 'Heating' can act as a noun too. – Anyon Nov 17 '18 at 15:57

Your abbreviation is a bit misleading because you left out the initial of system, but you want it to mean system.

If you want to write just the abbreviation, I suggest you to use UFHS instead, to comprise system.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.