Is it okay if the applicant provides a professor's official email and the professor uploads the letter of recommendation (LOR) from the same official email, but mistakenly mentions their personal email instead of their official email on the letter of recommendation as their contact details?

closed as too broad by Herman Toothrot, problemofficer, user68958, St. Inkbug, user3209815 Nov 9 '18 at 7:43

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    This is too variable to answer. Every university will be different. Ask the university or the department. The US has no uniform system for any such thing. – Buffy Nov 8 '18 at 16:57
  • It might be helpful if you explain why this is an issue: using the official email everywhere seems like it makes more sense than mixing them. Can you clarify? – Bryan Krause Nov 8 '18 at 20:19
  • @AzorAhai your point looks obvious to me. I mean it’s like you subscribe in a website with your Gmail or Yahoo email but you expect to login with your .edu email! But a lot of LoR systems specifically in the US clearly states that the recommender should hold an academic status and have a valid academic email address . – Alone Programmer Nov 8 '18 at 20:20
  • @AloneProgrammer Which is why I was confused by your comment about a professor using their gmail or yahoo email in their contact details. – Azor Ahai Nov 8 '18 at 20:22
  • 1
    I edited again. In English, it's okay to just say "email," "email-id" is redundant and a bit confusing for me, at least. – Azor Ahai Nov 8 '18 at 22:39

Yes, it is okay for a professor to have alternative contact information on their letter of recommendation. If you are a student worried about this, you need not worry further.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.