I am a researcher at a company C and I'm going to submit a paper as main author in the next few days for a conference next spring. The thing is, I applied to a University U for a PHD and still waiting for an answer. So in spring, I might not be in the company anymore and they will have no reason to pay me the trip and the conference. So if the paper is accepted, I can guess 5 scenarios:
- C still pays me the conference (very unlikely I guess)
- U pays me the conference (However this team never published to this conference so it is unlikely)
- I pay for it (I don't think I would, it is really too expensive (other side of the planet))
- C pays for the second author to go and present the paper at my place
- My submission is cancelled
What do you think is the more probable scenario. How does Universities and Companies usually handle this? C doesn't know yet that I am looking for another position. Should I renounce publishing this paper? I have been working on that for more than a year and this is a good journal.