I am Ph.D. advisor to X, a rising 5th-year Ph.D. student in pure mathematics at a mid-tier US research university. X and I are trying to prepare for his upcoming job search.

In my opinion X is promising, talented, and hard-working, and he has not quite realized his potential yet. If he were to go on the US postdoctoral job market this year, I would estimate his chances to be low. Staying for a sixth year is a theoretical possibility, but my department is faced with budget cuts and X would probably have to finance his own studies.

It occurs to me that he might apply for postdocs (and, eventually, tenure-track positions) in his native India. He would really like to pursue a research career, and would likely be willing to accept compromises such as a low salary (by US standards).

An internet search reveals particular institutes to which one can apply, as well as postdoctoral fellowships -- but I was unable to find any general overview of the Indian job market geared towards applicants overseas.

Is there an approach to finding a mathematics job in India, better than googling and applying for individual opportunities? And is it any easier to find a job there than it is in the US (for an Indian citizen who has studied in the US)?

  • 1
    I don't know too much about India, but TIFR and the IISERs are the first places that come to mind for math, and I would think the best thing to do would be to contact potential mentors in India.
    – Kimball
    Jul 23 '18 at 5:00
  • Regarding the last question, I know a few Indian citizens who got their PhDs in the US, tried unsuccessfully to get jobs in the US, but did get jobs in India. So as of a few years ago, yes, anecdotally.
    – Kimball
    Jul 23 '18 at 5:03
  • 1
    Perhaps your question is a bit too narrow. It is a big world, even if you limit it to the English-speaking world. Maybe at least a preliminary search elsewhere would aid your candidate.
    – Buffy
    Sep 23 '18 at 13:34
  • 1
    To add to Buffy's point, wouldn't expanding his postdoc search to Europe be a more obvious move? There are plenty of postdoctoral fellowships in continental Europe (e.g. Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships), at universities with much stronger name recognition in the wider academic community than those your student would be applying to in India. Nov 23 '18 at 10:42
  • My department (in Malaysia) is hiring. If X is still on the market, he might be a good fit. My contact info is on my website: dongcl.wixsite.com/darrenong
    – Darren Ong
    Mar 27 '19 at 4:17

First of all, I am not an Indian, please take my words as a grain of salts. I'll provide what I know.

University Grants Commission (UGC)

is a statutory body set up by the Indian Union government in accordance to the UGC Act 1956[1] under Ministry of Human Resource Development, and is charged with coordination, determination and maintenance of standards of higher education.

As far as I know, they are in charge of almost all of the high level education matters in India.

I did find one of their web pages Scholarships and Fellowships which lists many scholarships and fellowships in India, including UGC scheme for post-doctoral Fellowships (pdfs) (To be named D. S. Kothari Fellowships), POST DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP TO WOMEN CANDIDATES (I don't know if your student is a woman or not), etc.

Hope this helps.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.