As a professor I was wondering what others have experienced at the College/University regarding credit hours/compensation for teaching MA level vs BA level courses. This is for a Psychology department...For example, a 3-credit BA course counts towards 3 credit hours of instruction. A 3-credit MA course may count at 3 credit hours or double (6-credit hours) depending on enrollment. This policy is changing and I am wondering what policies may be in pace elsewhere for comparison. In relation to this - how are professors compensated for mentoring MA thesis students?

Thanks in advance for any feedback that would be helpful while drafting our policy.

closed as off-topic by Brian Borchers, scaaahu, user3209815, Flyto, Enthusiastic Engineer Jun 24 '18 at 19:03

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "The answer to this question strongly depends on individual factors such as a certain person’s preferences, a given institution’s regulations, the exact contents of your work or your personal values. Thus only someone familiar can answer this question and it cannot be generalised to apply to others. (See this discussion for more info.)" – Brian Borchers, scaaahu, user3209815, Flyto, Enthusiastic Engineer
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    A 3-credit MA course may count at 3 credit hours or double (6-credit hours) depending on enrollment. - Where/what field is this? I don't think I've heard of getting double credit for teaching grad classes before. – Kimball Jun 22 '18 at 3:36
  • I think compensation for supervising students should be a sepetate question. You are also going to want to specify broad field (humanities, social sciences, STEM). – Dawn Jun 23 '18 at 17:46
  • Social science - psychology – Kristy Jun 24 '18 at 15:21

AFAIK my faculty requires, over one academic year, two undergrad-level half courses, and one graduate-level half course ("half course" = one term, academic year has three terms). BUT, if one of the undergrad half courses is dual-listed as a graduate level half course, this counts for BOTH one of the undergrad-level half courses and the graduate-level half course. So, in theory, a professor could teach only two half courses and have it count for the three required.

  • Thanks - is there an enrollment requirement? We have had a required enrollment for the course to be double. Admin is planning to increase enrollment required & limit # of grad courses one can receive the double credit load for per year. We are on a semester sched and a 4:4 teaching load - so for ex: I could teach 1 grad & 2 undergrad each semester to cover my 4 required each semester now. But, in the future I would need to teach 1 grad & 2 UG say in fall and then 1 Grad & 3 UG in spring. I am trying to get as much info as possible as there seems to be no consistency among Universities. – Kristy Jun 24 '18 at 15:34
  • I don't think so, since most of the courses offered in my faculty are required for the undergraduates to take; and as long as even one graduate student is taking the grad-level course, it would still be double-listed (since the graduate students would have slightly different requirements in terms of content/labs/projects). Some grad courses are offered during the summer term, so some Profs will teach 1 UG fall, 1 UG Spring, and their grad in the summer. – LadyGodiva2 Jun 26 '18 at 13:09

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.