I am at an early stage of my research in Mathematics. Recently I have found some papers related to my broad interest that I think I will be able to work on.

However I am clueless how to find the research problem or in which direction I should proceed . Is it okay to mail the author asking for research problem or at least asking for the direction in which I can proceed. More generally how should I approach to some experts via email asking for such stuffs.

  • 2
    Where is your supervisor? You can email authors but I doubt they will reply. I for example will keep all 'good' problems for myself and my students. Commented Jun 18, 2018 at 4:25
  • i am discussing it with my supervisor but this field is also new to my supervisor
    – Jave
    Commented Jun 18, 2018 at 4:27
  • this is the reason why I am looking for a second opinion
    – Jave
    Commented Jun 18, 2018 at 4:28
  • It's probably better to find research problems on your own. See How to come up with research ideas? for ideas on how to do so.
    – Anyon
    Commented Jun 18, 2018 at 4:40
  • 1
    It is totally fine and common to consult with your adviser in this situation. Tell him/her about the paper and ask for an advice on how to proceed further.
    – Yanko
    Commented Jun 18, 2018 at 20:30


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .