I am student from India and finished master's this year. I secured a PhD position at the Gottingen university in Mathematics. In my offer letter it is written, I will be employed from 1.10.2018 to 30.09.2021 as a research assistant at the mathematical institute of the George-August -Universitat Gottingen. I will be hired in part-time (19.9 hours/week) and paid according to E13 TV-L (minimum 1758.68 Euros per month).

Here someone have written that, with a TV-L position, getting student visa is not only problematic, but also something can't be fixed later. But it looks like I have a 50% position. In Germany people are are considered as a student from the perspective of social security (health insurance, pension, unemployment insurance), if work is less than 20 hours per week (for my case it is 19.9, as per contract). So I could be considered a student as well. I don't understand which Visa I should for. In India, the available long term Visas are the following: https://india.diplo.de/in-en/vertretungen/generalkonsulat3/-/2001158. I guess it should one of Student, Employment or Guest Scientist Visa. But I don't understand which one. This seems to be a very complicated stuff. Kindly look into this matter and let me know what should I do.

  • 3
    Why don't you call the embassy and ask for advice? The administration of Göttingen University might also be able to advise. You will be hardly be their first Indian employee/PhD student. – Roland Jun 8 '18 at 13:40
  • The student status at your university is completely independent of your visa. One thing to keep in mind is that if you opt for the student visa and you ever decide to quit you PhD, you have to leave the country immediately (not the next day, but you can't stay the full duration). So the advice still stands: As soon as you earn any money, opt for the employment visa. – Christian Clason Jun 8 '18 at 14:46
  • 1
    I have no idea about the visa issues, but I'd reckon a TV-L position is not a student assistant position, but a full-fledged working position. So, while my intuition says "work permit visa", I'd recommend you to check with the ambassy and/or international office of your university. – Oleg Lobachev Jun 8 '18 at 17:53
  • @Oleg Lobachev ist right. It's definitely not a 'geringfügige' research assistant position, but a regular part-time job as 'wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter'. – henning -- reinstate Monica Jun 8 '18 at 20:59
  • Hi all, embassy asked me to refer their website for the Research and Internship visa under the National visa category. I think its a work permist Visa. But it is asked for a consent letter from “Bundesagentur für Arbeit”. Could anyone please tell me what this letter is ? – dragoboy Jun 11 '18 at 11:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.