I’ve just moved to Canada for PhD studies at one of its best universities. One day during my master studies, I felt that I wanted to live the international student experience and decided to move to Canada which is far away from my home country (at least 16 hours by flight!). But before moving to Canada, I thought I needed to save some money as such I decided to work and save money. I worked at a good and well-known company with very good salary and benefits, my boss really liked me. I left the job after a year and everyone there was shocked because I was so good at it. I have to mention that during my work there, I also met my boyfriend whom I love very much!
Despite the fact that I met my significant other, had a great job and stable life, I went on my way and moved to Canada. After only one month in Canada, I discovered a few things.
1) It feels bad to be away from my family and friends, although I used to live away from my family during the past few years, the increased distance makes it worse.
2) I've been thinking of going back to my home country since I arrived.
3) I miss my boyfriend very badly although we talk everyday.
4) I had a great job with very good salary and now I get less than half of my previous salary.
5) My social life here sucks, I’m working on it but things are moving very very slow!
6) The main concern: I joined a small research group; only 2 PhD students and 2 masters students and no Post docs. The supervisor is very busy (we booked a meeting and he has never showed up in time! In a best case scenario he is late by an hour), he doesn’t show any interest in guiding me or helping me define my PhD project, I thought he might be busy but after taking to the students it seems that he’s always like this. He never seems to have time and I need to chase him down to talk about research and ensure things move forward. Even one of his masters students said that if I wanna have a good PhD, I must find a co-supervisor because he’s not organized! Besides, it seems that the supervisor does not have available projects as of now and he is currently away for the next two months.
I feel like I’m sinking and made the biggest mistake of my life! I'm no longer sure I want to continue my PhD studies! I only think about going back home. I don’t know what to do. Should I look for job back home? Stay? Ask the previous company to hire me back?
I’m afraid and nervous and have no one to consult!! Please help me cause I feel like I’m wasting time here while being unhappy and very far away from my loved ones :( ?