What are the requirements for to become an Associate Professor in the Dutch system? And to what extent are they different from the British one? For example, in the British system, I believe Associate Profs must have their teaching certificate — but I see no such requirement in the Dutch system (though I’m admittedly not quite sure about that)

  • 1
    In the UK system you can appoint at the Associate level without a PGCHE, but the individual must then complete the PGCHE in a timely manner. – StrongBad Jun 4 '18 at 12:44
  • I have only heard of one UK university that has Associate Professors, they are not part of the traditional UK system. I would be wary of making any generalisations, you should check with the relevant university. – Neil Strickland Jun 4 '18 at 13:43
  • 2
    Oxford, Reading, Warwick and Exeter now use the american system, with the title "associate professor" used to mean more-or -less what senior lecturer or reader used to mean. Most univerisiteis will expect senior lecturers to be a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) or have a solid plan for gaining Fellow status. This is usually done either by completing a PGCHE or by demonstrating you have accumulated equivalent experience (the so called "personal pathway"). – Ian Sudbery Jun 4 '18 at 15:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.