I applied for the University of Alberta. Fortunately I have got funding opportunity through my prospective professor's grant. I have applied for a visa expecting to go with the January intake, and waited for 6 months to get the entrance visa. As my visa came late I decided to start in the spring semester (May). I contacted my professor 3 weeks ago (in March) and he said he had a good job for me if I can come by May.
Yesterday, I finally got my visa and thus I contacted him again. My prof told me not to come for the May semester as "I have to give your project to other one since your visa delayed". And it seems he is on a sabbatical leave.
He says he does not have funding for me until September and my funding status will be clarified in 3 months. I already have my visa and I have done all the things that I needed to go. Now I am up in the air.
If I accept that I come in Aug/Sep, how can I make sure that he is going to fund me in 3 months? What he decided devastated my plans for starting my term in May. How can I ask for a guarantee? I think he should assure that he will give me the fund in 3 months since I have been waiting for 1 year now.
+from India and I need an entrance visa.