As a young assistant professor in civil engineering, i was tasked with building a new education program that leads to a masters degree in engineering. In order to offer the future students of this program more opportunities, I would like to establish a partnership with a foreign university, to allow the exchange of professors, students, and other types of collaborations that are usually covered in these types of partnerships.

How would you advise me to proceed ?

  • Why a foreign university? Apr 27, 2018 at 4:20
  • to offer...future students...more opportunities, I would like...to allow the exchange of professors, [the exchange of] students, and other types of collaborations What do you want to achieve by exchanging professors/students? What other types of collaboration are you considering (and how do you expect such collaborations to benefit students)?
    – user2768
    Apr 27, 2018 at 8:36
  • @aparente001: foreign experience is usually a must for an engineer in our country.
    – you-slamm
    Apr 27, 2018 at 8:58
  • @user2768: most colleges have strengths and weaknesses. When I was a civil engineering student, our program was probably the best in concretes and porous materials, but lacked in other fields. When a friend of mine wanted to specialize in marine engineering, he was sent to another college for a semester or two. The international experience he acquired was greatly appreciated by his employers. This is just an example of how academic collaboration can benefit the student.
    – you-slamm
    Apr 27, 2018 at 9:04
  • @ysalami So you want to send your students elsewhere to study courses that you don't teach?
    – user2768
    Apr 27, 2018 at 9:11

1 Answer 1


I am probably not qualified to answer this question, but the process should start with you talking to other faculty members and the chairperson of your debarment then the dean of the engineering college and possibly other colleges. if the college that employs you is part of a university. Uou and others need to see one or more provosts, At some point you need to talk to one or more lawyers.

Tulane University has an agreement with university in Cali Colombia, or at least the medical school and School of Public health and Tropical Medicine that split off from the medical school in the late 1960s have an agreement that is 50 years old or older..

I am/was a Tulane University faculty dependent. When my father had to semi-retire in 1976, he went to Cali Colombia TWICE to work with a professor down there., Tulane also has an agreement with Sewanee University in the United States.

My closest friend from college is now a full time faculty member of a health sciences technical university who is on several degree or program creating committees for that university. She's also the contact person between the university and several hospitals. They have an existing agreement with the University of New Orleans, When her university could not hire someone to teach required introductory level physics course for existing degree programs, They ended up sending several students, who had to take the physics course to to graduate, to UNO.

At some point you need to get legal counsel involved.

Repeating myself, my suggestion is talk to OTHER faculty members who have been there longer to see who they may know or who have worked with faculty members who are now working at foreign universities. Then talk to the department chairman, the deans of on or more colleges , then people in the university administration, one or more provosts. One of the reasons for going to college NOW is to form foundation of professional social support network. Even as relatively NEW Ph.D. you already should know OF other faculty members at other universities , including foreign universities. If you don't know anyone, certainly other faculty members who have been there longer knows or has worked with someone else at a foreign university.

Do you have any visiting professors in the college who also are faculty members at a foreign university.. I know someone who now has Ph.D. in physics who had spend one Christmas vacation in Madrid Spain because his dissertation adviser was in in Europe for a scientific conference...

I apologize for assuming you are in the United States. I know that may NOT be true. And repeating my self. but following some professors advice to repeat everything THREE times. There may by typos I did not catch and correct.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .